Clark Fobes Bb Clarinet Barrel - Hard Rubber Lined Cocobolo
The barrel joint is an extremely important aspect of the overall acoustical design of the clarinet. It has a profund affect on modal ratios (pitch) and tonal coloration. We can think of the barrel as the "interface" between clarinet and mouthpiece.
Barrel design was dramatically improved with the innovation by Hans Moennig of the inverted cone bore. This is a shape that is suited well to the paradigm of polycylindrical bored clarinets (most Buffets) and the larger bore style mouthpieces preferred by American players.
FOBES barrels feature an inverted cone style bore and are designed to work in conjuntion with FOBES mouthpieces. Improvements you can expect with a FOBES barrel are:
- Closer twelfth intervals
- Slightly lowered pitch in the tones of the left hand, upper register
- Focused throat tones
- Increased resonance and response
These barrels are made from cocobolo wood with a hard rubber lining to add stability and projection.
Clark W Fobes began research into the art of mouthpiece design and hand finishing in 1986 after building his clarinet repair business as a parallel career to his performing career. Becoming the preeminent clarinet repair specialist in the San Francisco bay area in 1985 Fobes reputation for fine craftsmanship and expertise in clarinet acoustics drew clients from all over the US. Fobes launched his line of Debut mouthpieces for students which have become extremely popular in the US. In 2000 Fobes closed his repair business to devote his energies to hand crafting clarinet and saxophone mouthpieces and to manufacture his unique solid wood barrels and extensions for clarinet.
1. On arrival, every Clarinet & Flute is checked & adjusted in-store. This is essential as every instrument requires some attention after its long journey from the factory.
2. Once sold, every Clarinet & Flute is checked & regulated for a second time as the set-up can be affected by the new materials expanding & contracting according to environmental conditions.
3. New instruments purchased from us can be returned within a year for a FREE check over and adjustment.